Friday 18 November 2022

Creating advantage.

 On reflecting on these two questions, I have come to several conclusions. My age is an advantage and a disadvantage. Meaning, I am in my early 50s, so it is slightly late in life to consider other career paths. It is therefore hard but not impossible. My life experience means I have seen a lot of change in society, and I am able to articulate this change into my practice. Especially when it comes to social issues and politics.  

I see my motivations being pollical issues, history and activism. My interest in the past has been nature but the more I have been exposed to photographers whose work has documented social trends-I find myself being drawn to this genre of work. Photographers such as Martin Parr and Dorothy Lang have influence me, as well as an interest in social issues that has always been with me, but I did not know how to express this. I hope in the future to attend more demonstrations and capture the scenes taking place.




I am using my knowledge of history in my photography. I am currently doing another module in which I have chosen to show stages of The British Empire. This work has made me aware of where I want to go with my work in the future. I am especially drawn to curation and working in a museum, studio or historical society. Therefore, my knowledge of history and my passion for the subject can be aided by my knowledge in photography.

In creating advantages in this line of work, I need to network and open myself up more online. I need to get my LinkedIn updated from social care, and make it more relevant to photography. Also, add galleries, museums and historical societies to find out what is going on regionally.


I joined Redeye recently with a view to taking advantage of all the resources on it.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Culture-how it is determined by the internet. Music and photography examined.

  “It feels like the internet's impact on culture is just beginning. A world in which culture is based on the internet, which is what I ...